Update on Rationale for Low Carbohydrate Diets. Medical Grand Rounds, NJ Academy of Med
NJ Obesity Group: 1. Presentations /Lobbying in Washington, DC for Rutgers Univ. Nutrition/Obesity Initiative at offices of Senators & Congressmen. 2. Presentation to Bristol Meyers Squibb.
– Weight Loss: Calcium, hormones & bone metabolism Cullman Lab. for Cancer Res., NJ
– Obesity Influences Body Composition – Changes in body fat distribution during weight reduction at the 9th International Conference on In Vivo Body Composition, Hangzhou, China
Why Calcium for Weight loss; is there evidence for more? Nutrition Week, Orlando FL
Initiated – Obesity (11:015:427), taught every other year, provides a series of state-of-the-art lectures by obesity researchers followed by a discussion period to enable the students to understand the multifactorial etiology of the epidemic, the treatment and public policy approaches that are being used in the obesity research community to combat the disease
NJOG has become more accessible to the public and faculty frequently respond to questions from the media (i.e., state newspapers, magazines and the associated press) and from individuals in NJ via our website and brochure. Outreach activities of NJOG include advising New Brunswick Tomorrow, a non-profit organization that provides health-related support to the community.These efforts resulted in funding of the Healthier New Brunswick 2010 initiative to conduct studies on physical activity in the New Brunswick after-school program. A full page special report for Gannett Newspapers, February 7th, 2005 reported on NJ Obesity Group! In addition, NJOG members serve the community through free weight loss counseling and participation in annual health fairs.
Publications From NJOG Feasibility Grants:
- Forman A. The Second National Conference on Diabesity (R) in America. Nutrition Today. Eds. B Moore, SA Shapses, S Rao, J Storch. 39(6):245-253, November/December 2004
- Goldstein GL, Daun H, Tepper BJ. Adiposity in middle-aged women is associated with genetic taste blindness to 6-n-propylthiouracil.Obes Res. 13(6):1017-23, 2005
- Morgan K. “Lighten Up Hunterdon.” Project distributedlaminated BMI charts and tear off sheets to all physician practices in Hunterdon County
- Riedt CS, Brolin RE, Sherrell RM, Field MP, Shapses SA. True fractional calcium absorption is decreased after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, Obesity, 14(11):1940-8, 2006.
- Schlussel Y, Shapses S, Rao S. Geographic Clustering of Obesity in relation to Mortality Rates. Obesity 14(9): A253-254, 2006.
- Rao S & Shapses SA. “New Jersey Conference on Childhood Obesity:Challenges and Solutions”. Weight Management Newsletter (Pediatric Section) of the American Dietetic Association, 3(4): 12-14, 2006.
- Shapses, Pop, Schneider. Vitamin D in Obesity and Weight Loss, C.M. Weaver et al. (eds.), Nutritional Influences on Bone Health, Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016.
Research / Outreach Specific Goals:
- To identify populations at risk for complications of obesity in N.J.;
- To support outreach programs promoting healthy habits for underprivileged children and mothers in the state
- To determine ways to help prevent obesity related diseases in the growing and often neglected older and elderly population in NJ
- To understand common pathways that may cause both obesity and its comorbidities (basic studies).